Monday, July 16, 2012
We have lots on offer: Bric a Brac, clothes, books, recycled goods, handmade furniture, food, plants and so much more, check out our new stall holders!
So come along and pick up a bargain at our local markets. Enjoy the live bands and sausage sizzle in the beautiful Redfern Park with the kids.
Dates: 3rd Saturday of the month
Address: Redfern Park, Corner of Chalmers & Redfern St.
Time: 8.00am - 4.00pm
For more information please contact Laura on 0434 197 527 or 9698 9569
Or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Sydney Business Awards 2012
- The Factory Community Centre
- Inner Sydney Regional Council for Social Development
- South Sydney Community Aid
- Babana Aboriginal Men’s Group
The top ten vote-getters in each business category will progress to the Finalist stage. You can vote for them by clicking on the link below and follow their progress! Remember you can vote more than once so get behind your local community service and spread the word.
The Factory Community Centre Membership
Did you know that you can be a member of the Factory Community Centre for just $2 per year. As a member of the Factory Community Centre there is:-
• Opportunity to be informed and involved in local issues
• An opportunity to direct the management and strategic direction of our services
• Regular newsletter and copy of our annual reports
• Reduced fees for room hire
• Opportunity to stand for election to our management committee
• Opportunity to be part of service that has 35 years of history in delivering quality services to the Waterloo and Redfern community.
If you would like to join us please fill out the membership form attached and return it to The Factory Community Centre, 67 Raglan Street, Waterloo, NSW 2017 or to email@example.com
Lift Redfern Campaign Update
As you may be aware Lift Redfern campaigners proudly handed over our 11,000 signatures to the Hon Kristina Keneally MP on 2nd May outside Parliament House. Ms Keneally tabled the petition later that morning and was advised that a debate will be raised on 23rd August regarding the lack of access at Redfern station.
The local community have continued to have their voice heard following the handover of the petition by lobbying of local MP's, NSW Cabinet, and the NSW Transport Minister.
Mark the 23rd August in your calendar and watch this space for further updates on the Lift Redfern Campaign. Let’s make Redfern station accessible now!! www.liftredfernstation.wordpress.com.
If you have a story you would like to share regarding the lack of access at Redfern station you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing NSW HSC Youth Scholarship 2013Applications for the 2013 round of Youth Scholarships open on Monday 18 June 2012 and close at 5pm Friday 27 July 2012.
The Housing NSW HSC Youth Scholarship Program assists eligible young people living in social housing or on the NSW Housing Register to complete their HSC or TAFE equivalent.
Each scholarship is a one off payment of $2,000 which is administered by the school or TAFE College on behalf of the student. The funds can be used to purchase items or services which help the student complete the HSC or TAFE equivalent and can include:
- Text books, workbooks, study guides and stationery
- Specialist equipment (e.g: art, music or photographic materials)
- Course costs, excursions, study camps, sport
- Home computer or laptop (if not received previously from the school/TAFE)
- Computer software and printer
- Private tutoring or coaching
Who can apply for a Housing NSW Youth Scholarship?Any NSW high school or TAFE college student who meets the following criteria can apply. A student who has previously been awarded a Housing NSW Youth Scholarship cannot apply again. Students must be:
- Living in social housing in NSW (public housing, Aboriginal housing, community housing) or on the NSW Housing Register
- Studying in Year 11 or 12 at a NSW high school or TAFE college for the HSC or TAFE equivalent in 2013
- Aged 24 years or under on 1 December 2013
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Not earning an income higher than the NSW social housing eligibility limits (if earning an income)
How to apply for a Housing NSW Youth Scholarship?Applications forms and information are available below from the opening date until the closing date.
· Youth Scholarship 2013 Application Form (PDF, 586KB)
· Youth Scholarship 2013 Guidelines (PDF, 56KB)
· Youth Scholarship 2013 Fact Sheet (PDF, 815KB)
· Youth Scholarship 2013 Flyer (PDF, 484KB)
· Youth Scholarship 2013 Poster (PDF, 699KB)You can get more information about the Housing NSW Youth Scholarship by:
- Email: email@example.com or
- Telephone: 1300 468 746 (Housing NSW Contact Centre)
Christmas in July!
Celebrate Christmas in July at the Salvation Army with a roast lunch, great entertainment, lucky door prizes and maybe even an appearance from Santa himself!
Where: The Salvation Army, Cnr Cope & Philip St, Waterloo NSW 2017
When: Wednesday 25th July
For more information please contact Jo or Lauren on 9698 3586, bookings are essential.
Family and Culture Day – “Our Children Our Culture Our Way”
The next Family and Culture Day has lots to offer local children and families; kids games, jumping castle, market stalls, healthy food, liver performers and fun for the whole family. Come along and join us for this alcohol and drug free event that embraces all cultures!
When: Saturday 28th July, 12pm – 3pm
Where: Waterloo Green, Raglan Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
For more information contact Redfern Community Centre on 9288 5713.
Young Families under 25 Playgroup – At NCIE
Come along with your kids to our weekly play session, morning tea is provided. Activities will also include cooking, arts and crafts, and water play.
Where: National Centre for Indigenous Excellence, 180 George Street, Waterloo, NSW 2017
When: Every Tuesday 10.30am – 12.30pm
When: Every Tuesday 10.30am – 12.30pm
For more information contact Sally or Kay as SDN on 9698 3144.
Sing & Grow!
Sing & Grow is an 8 week music therapy group program for families with young children. Parents and/or Carers:
· Learn to use music in play with their child
· Help their child develop important social and communication skills
· Help their child explore music through playing instruments and musical games
· Share quality time together and have FUN!
· Share ideas and learn with other families
When: Starting Wednesday July 25 at 11am – 12pm
Where: Alexandria Park Community Centre cnr Power Ave & Park Rd, Alexandria
To book in contact Jo 9319 3207 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Limited spaces so book early!
Social Friday! – End of the month gathering
This informal gathering is for all volunteers, community workers, reps and people living in Redfern-Waterloo. It is a great way of having a chat about what is going on in the area. It’s always fun, we can eat and drink so come along and join us the last Friday of every month. We will be there on:
Next gathering: Friday 27th July 2012 at 1pm
Where: Alexandria Hotel, 35 Henderson Road, Alexandria NSW 2015
Volunteers trained by the Tax Office are now available in your area to help low income earners prepare their tax returns. Tax Help is a free and confidential service provided by volunteers in a community centre in your location:
- The Factory Community Centre – 67 Raglan St, Waterloo, NSW 2017
Contact Laura on 9698 9569 to make an appointment
- South Sydney Community Aid – Alexandria Town Hall, 73 Garden St, Alexandria, NSW 2015 Contact Natasha on 9319 4073 to make an appointment
To find out if you’re eligible or to make an appointment ring 13 28 61.